Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dawn goes down to day

Lately, I've been reading a lot of poetry. I love poetry that incorporates nature, so the first poem that always comes to my mind is "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost. I first read this poem when we read The Outsiders in 7th grade, and it became the first poem I ever memorized entirely. I was, and still am, captivated by it, so hopefully you'll like it too :)

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

3 comments:

  1. Those are my favorite types of poems, short, perfect pacing, and makes me imagine the scene they're writing about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, don't recall seeing it before. I don't usually care for Frost but that was good. Seriously. I'm more a fan of Yeats, e.e. cummings, Dylan Thomas, William Carlos Williams, and my all-time favorite is Theodore Roethke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol you're making me feel seriously unsophisticated because I've never been truly able to understand poetry!

    I'm glad it makes you happy though :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like cake to me. I can never get enough.